CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 30, 2009

Works for me Wednesday- Helping with Yard Work


Recently, the joy of great weather has also brought back the joy of yard work! Originally, I thought that yard work would be Nate's "responsibility". I figured that because I do most of the cooking and cleaning, he could take care of the outside without my assistance (sounds like a self-entitlement!). Besides, I wasn't "good at" all of that outdoor stuff and I certainly didn't enjoy it. Well, I must tell you that I have since found that helping with yard work "works for me".

I am always really thankful when Nathan (my sister-in-laws, friends, the kids, etc.) helps me with a task that is "my responsibility". Things usually take less time and are more enjoyable when you have a helper, even if the helper isn't doing much. Even the small things like handing me the bread out of the fridge, bringing something in from the car, placing a dish in the oven, or carrying a heavy something to a new location really make things a lot easier for me. Mostly because it makes me feel like I'm not having to do it all on my own.

So, I decided that Nate might like a little "helper" when he is doing yard work (which he actually enjoys doing, for the most part). I put this into practice late in the "yard working" season last year and I assure you that it truly worked for me. My helping can range from me mowing the entire yard to simply making myself available to bring him the tools he needs as he works. I will often assist him by cleaning up branches and weeds after he trims bushes, pulls weeds, etc. I will also often ask him what he needs to get done in the yard and then volunteer to do the tasks that I know I can do (like pulling weeds or watering the plants). Other times, I work inside while he works outside, but I make it a point to check on him periodically to see if he needs help or a cold glass of water ( I realize that depending on your busy schedule (work, school, small children), this may be all you can commit to do and that is okay!). My goal is to make myself available to assist him with yard work. My ability to help him in the yard may change with different seasons of our lives, but I want to have a heart that is always willing to help! Again, it is all about my heart.

Benefits:
1) It is another opportunity to spend time with our spouses (and children) during the sunny months. I know we plan to have our "Linc kids" join us in our yard work adventures from time to time. We see it as another way we can teach them to work together and have fun while doing it. I have found that I can actually enjoy yard work when I have the right attitude and look at it as "family time".
2) Everyone loves to have a little bit of help sometimes. Your husband will cherish his willing helper. Even if you aren't able to mow the entire lawn, he will be glad that you have a heart that is willing to help where you can.
3) Yard work is a great workout. Seriously...whew!
4) We are called to be "help meets". This is just another way we can find joy in fulfilling our great command!

So, next time your man's out there working hard, think about how you can help. This will be different for us all, but as long as we have a heart that is willing to help, we will always find opportunities to do so. It works for me!

P.S. My mom and "grandmother" are coming to visit this weekend!!! They are driving over 14 hours to spend 4 days with me and Nathan. They will be here tomorrow and I can't wait! I miss them so much and am very thankful that I will be able to spend this time with them.

1 comments:

The VanZoerens said...

Steph, I love reading all your posts--especially your "works for me" posts. You have such a Christ-like spirit and are reminding me of the kind of wife I need to be for Geoff. Thanks for being the sweet, kind-hearted friend you are--I love you!