CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 23, 2009

Our Trip To Kentucky

This past week, we spent 5 days on Lake Herrington in Kentucky. One of Nathan's clients blessed us by letting us stay in their beautiful cabin free of charge. It was such a glorious trip for both of us. As we were driving home (it's about a 5 hour drive) we were discussing how vacations (were you actually travel away from home) are not necessities, so the fact that we have enjoyed many vacations in the past and continue to enjoy trips is a true blessing. Not to mention the fact that many people are not able to take trips due to a lack of vacation time and/or financial means. We are very thankful were were able to take this relaxing trip! We both enjoy traveling and hope to continue to travel in the future (hopefully to Iceland to see our dear friends ;). I decided to share some of our trip with you all by providing you with pictures.
If you look from the bottom to the top, it seems to make more sense.


We were surprised to learn that the Shaker village also has TONS of hiking trails. We weren't able to enjoy them during this trip, but we hope to visit the village again and do some serious hiking.
We decided to enjoy our one night of eating out in this small "restaurant" at the Shaker village. They serve vegetables grown in their large garden and food that the Shakers used to eat. It was very good!
I think this school bench is so cool. Maybe our dear friend Brent will help us make one some day.

This was one of their main living quarters. It was massive, but practical.
All of their rooms were lined in pegs. Everything was hung on these pegs and everything always stayed in it's place. Those pegs were right up my alley.

The last place we visited was by far my favorite, the Shaker Village. The Shakers were very mislead in their beliefs about Christ. The more I learned about what they believed, the more I grieved for them. I enjoyed their large living quarters, beautifully crafted furniture, work ethic, and emphasis on practicality.


This picture makes me laugh because I'm sitting in this fancy great room in a comfy sweat suit.
We heard about this historic inn from a friend and decided to have a look here as well. It was beautiful.

The man at the antique shop suggested we visit this refurbished drug store. They had tons of antiques displayed and the ice cream was delicious.
These are our random finds. We bought several old books. My favorite one is Little Women. The children's table was only $15. I can't wait to see what I can do with it. I may keep it for future use or give it as a gift. The coke boxes were $5, which we thought was cool. I am picturing them hung on the wall with old baseballs and other stuff displayed in them.
We did not plan on antique shopping during this trip (or doing anything outside the cabin for that matter), but this little place was a diamond in the ruff. Thousands of antique books and other items.
I really like this picture of Nathan in front of this beautiful canoe hanging over their fireplace.

Every morning we played bingo on this antique bingo set. We really think we should start having bingo night at our house.

Nathan on the other hand takes a more "active" approach to fishing. He didn't sit down the whole time.

We went fishing a couple of days, but the fish just weren't biting. It was a bit chilly this day so I decided to bundle up and wait for a fish to bite. After about 20 minutes of just sitting, I got out a book and read aloud to Nathan, which made fishing all the more fun.

This is my favorite spot in their cabin.

I like it when we are able to drive to our vacation spot because it allows us to pack additional items. I brought a lot of books and several food items (we even took a cooler on this trip) to complete our menu for the week. If there is a kitchen where we vacation, I am usually cooking most nights. I will be writing more about that and self-entitlement tomorrow!

1 comments:

The VanZoerens said...

Looks like you guys had a great time, but we are so glad you are home! Can't wait to see you guys and hopefully hang out soon :) Oh, and thanks so much for keeping Murphy--we appreciate it so much! Hopefully he wasn't too much trouble :)