CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 30, 2009

Recipe Share- Whole Wheat Pizza

Happy Monday! I hope you all had a refreshing weekend. Nate and I had a great weekend! On Saturday, we spent time together beautifying our yard. We trimmed bushes, pulled weeds, and even planted a nice rose bush and several flowers in our front beds. Let the joy of yard work begin! On Sunday, we had a great time roller skating with the kids. Needless to say, my skating skills could really use some work. The kids were passing me left and right :). I think the best part of my weekend by far was simply spending time with Nathan. No TV, no Internet, just good conversation. We have so much to be thankful for and so much to learn. We both love to just sit and reminisce about how far God has brought us. He truly is an awesome God!

I thought I would share another one of my favorite simple (from scratch--or as close to scratch as I know) recipes with you all today! This pizza crust might look a bit more complex than most of my recipes, but I assure you it is very simple and delicious! Plus, making the crust from scratch is less expensive than buying the pre-made wheat crust they sell in the store. Just a side note, I usually plan to make fajitas on the same week that I make this pizza so that I can use the left over peppers, onions, and mushrooms for the fajitas.



WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA


INGREDIENTS
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
1 cup warm water (115 degrees F)
1 pkg. Hodgson Mill Active Dry Yeast
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups naturally white flour
Toppings: pizza sauce, turkey peperoni, ground turkey, cheese, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and pineapple.

DIRECTIONS
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Allow to rest 5 minutes.

Stir in whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, olive oil, and 1 cup unbleached white flour.

Knead in remaining unbleached white flour by hand; about 5 minutes (the dough will be smooth and elastic).

Spray a medium-sized bowl with no-stick cooking spray. Place pizza dough in bowl and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and allow to rise in a warm, draft free place 15 minutes (I use this time to prep my veggies and turkey meat).

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray one 14-inch pizza pan or two 10-inch pizza pans with no-stick cooking spray. Stretch pizza crust to fit pan and flute outer edges of pizza dough to hold fillings. Top as desired. I usually add pizza sauce, 2% cheese, turkey peperoni (and sometimes ground turkey meat), green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and pineapple. Bake until cheese is melted and crust is browned (usually around 10-12 minutes).


ENJOY COOKING FOR YOUR LOVED ONES THIS WEEK!

2 comments:

nathan said...

I love your pizza...I could seriously eat it every week...hint hint :-)

I love you and think your blog is wonderful!

Gina Strychar said...

You probably don't remember me, I graduated with Nathan from MA. I found your blog through the Vanzorens and have to tell you that it is very insightful and full of interesting information. I will definitely have to try the pizza recipe. Thanks for sharing!
Gina (Williams) Strychar