CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 25, 2008

Pray for The Linc!

The kids getting ready to go swimming. Me and Angel.

I know that I have shared with most of you about the awesome new program that our church is starting called The Linc. It is an after school tutoring program for children from the Lincoln Village projects and other surrounding areas. Every Monday through Thursday, the children will participate in after school playtime, eat an evening meal, receive individual tutoring, spiritual growth mentoring, group activities, and attend weekly activities such as swimming lessons, gymnastics classes, and art classes, etc. I cannot tell you all how much work has gone into starting this program. It feels like Natalie has pretty much lived there for the past 3 weeks ;). The old building where the program will be held has been completely remodeled almost entirely by volunteers! So many people have stepped up to contribute to this program. Natalie could tell you so many awesome stories about how this program (and truly the children) have been blessed. God has been taking care of all of the needs of the program. We've had so much fun working on the building, creating fun things for the walls, organizing information, and most importantly loving on the children.

Then, last week I was completely blown away when my practicum supervisor agreed to let me do my practicum hours (kind of like clinicals) at the Linc with Natalie and an individual therapist that works with these same children! A miracle considering I am in Clinical Psychology and Kelly (the individual therapist) and Natalie both have a master's in Social Work. We are SO SO thankful for this wonderful opportunity. Natalie and I are so excited that we are going to be able to work together with the children that we truly love and care about. It is such a blessing for me, Nat, and the kids. While it looks like I will still be working full-time and working 10 hours a week at the Linc (which is a lot), at least I will be working with awesome people and children that I already know and love. And who knows...maybe a peace will be given that will allow me to cut back on hours at my job to allow for me to work more at the Linc. You all should pray about that as well!

Specific things to pray for:

- Pray for Natalie and the volunteers that will be caring for the children. Pray that we stay passionate and whole-heartedly care for the children. Pray that we do not burn-out, but that we all support one another and remain strong in the battle!

- Pray that the program is financially blessed. Most of the items in the building are not actually paid for yet. So, we really need donations. We are having a golf tournament on Sept. 19th! Pray that the tournament is a success.

- PRAY FOR THE CHILDREN! You wouldn't believe the kind of adversity these children have to overcome every day. Please pray for them. Pray that they will know God in a very personal way and they will grow from this program. Pray that they will graduate from high school and go to college! Pray that they will find fulfilling jobs in their adult life and come back to the Lincoln Village community and make a difference! Pray that they will break the cycle!

Other news, this weekend our church had a bridal shower for me at Wanda Tucker's house (my pseudo-mom in Huntsville). Once I get the pictures from the Tucker's, I will post them along with more about the shower. It was such a special time and I am SO thankful for such an amazing church family.

***One month and one day until we get married! Time is flying! We are so excited! It is going to be here SO SOON! HUH! ***

0 comments: